Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Robert Pattinson exclusive: 'Kristen Stewart is a wonderful girl'

Robert Pattinson exclusive: 'Kristen Stewart is a wonderful girl'

Twilight star Robert Pattinson tells new! about his feelings for Kristen Stewart and how he’s coping with the pressures of fame

Robert Pattinson is reclining in a sumptuous suite in the five-star Four Seasons Hotel New York.
His hair is shorter and less wild than usual. His sultry eyes look tired. But despite this, Robert Pattinson seems more relaxed and happy than ever.

With the third Twilight film, The Twilight Saga: Eclipse, being released, as well as another film, Bel Ami, coming out this year, his career couldn’t be in a better place.

The 24 year old’s personal life is stronger than ever, too. After years of denying a romance between him and his co-star Kristen Stewart, 20, both of them are starting to acknowledge publicly that they’re an item.

When new! asks about her, Robert is careful about how much he gives away, but can’t stop his face lighting up.

Here, the British movie star talks about his relationship, his efforts to stay out the spotlight and what he’s really like…
There’s always speculation about your relationship with Kristen Stewart. What’s going on between you?
Kristen and I have lived a great adventure together with the Twilight films. We are very close and no one can understand what we’ve gone through together the last few years. When we’re together, we understand each other so well that we don’t have to say a lot to explain what we’re thinking. Kristen is a wonderful girl.

You’re in the middle of all the hype around the Twilight films – how are you dealing with it all?
It’s not difficult to be in my position! You’re very well looked after and you don’t have to exert much effort to do anything. An actor in my position is very spoiled and so I have nothing to complain about. This is a pretty good life actually!

Do women constantly throw themselves at you?
No! But I’m not trying to attract a lot of attention either. I also don’t want to disappoint girls who might think I’m very cool and smooth, which I’m not, I’m afraid. I’m still quite shy, although that seems to be something of an attraction for women. [Laughs]

Can you go out and about without mobs chasing you?
Yes. I simply avoid going to very popular places in LA or London and I’ve been so tired the last several months that I can’t even imagine going out to clubs and partying any more. I wind up going to bed at 10pm most nights because I’m exhausted. I spend most of my time living out of hotel rooms, reading scripts and listening to music or playing music with some friends. But recently I had a chance to spend some time in London while filming Bel Ami and I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to walk around very freely without attracting any attention. It was wonderful! I can’t do that over here in the US. People tell me that Paris is the same way and so maybe I’ll spend some time over there, too! Sitting in cafés and reading Le Monde and smoking Gitanes. Actually, I’m trying to stop smoking, so cancel the smoking part! [Laughs]

Your female admirers would love to know how your own personality resembles your character Edward’s…
So would I! [Laughs] I do bear some similarities in the sense that I’m not good at romance. In The Twilight Saga: New Moon, Edward leaves Bella without any explanation because he thinks that’s best for her. We all make those kind of blunders in our romantic lives. It’s happened to me in the past where I broke up with a girl because I just didn’t think it was going to work out between us. And I’ve been dumped without explanation as well. I also think I lack basic finesse when it comes to women. I give up too easily even if I’m very attracted to someone.

Why do you think people are still so obsessed with the Twilight films?
There’s this tremendous anticipation about when Edward and Bella are finally going to be lovers. That’s the great excitement about watching their story evolve and seeing where it leads them. You want the anticipation to be almost unbearable and in The Twilight Saga: Eclipse Edward is more open and sure of himself. He’s also more vulnerable now and less severe about everything. That made it much more interesting for me as an actor in this film, where Edward can show more sides of himself and not just look pale and grim.

In your recent film, Remember Me, you play an angry teenager. Were you a rebel at that age?
I don’t think I was that angry as a teenager, although I will confess to being confused and frustrated. I suppose I had my moments of existential rebellion and could be a bit of a pain at times. For the most part, I think it takes time to find one’s identity and define one’s ambitions and goals in life. My experience as a teenager wasn’t that different from most of my friends. I wanted to change the world, make things better, make my mark. Then you grow bored with being disillusioned and alienated and now I’m trying to enjoy things more. It’s less stressful! You don’t have to change the world to be happy.

Are you concerned about your fame getting in the way of being seen as a proper actor?
You look at how people are judged in the public. The majority of the people who get beaten by it are the people who are seen all the time. So the less you’re seen then you’re alright. As long as you keep attempting to make quality films then eventually your name starts with something other than “meaningless celebrity”. It’s a difficult battle to make the work mean more than your celebrity. People like Johnny Depp have done that. He’s not judged at all for his public image, just his work is judged. It’s a lot of discipline and a lot of hiding.

When you look back at this time in your life ten years from now, what will you think about it all?
That it was this wonderfully insane time in my life that was actually a lot less fun than it maybe should have been for me. I think I’m only just beginning to enjoy everything about it!

The Twilight Saga: Eclipse will be released in cinemas across the UK and Ireland on July 9, with advance screenings on July 3 and 4.

Source => News Magazine / Via => Robert Pattinson UK

No comments:

Post a Comment