Thursday, November 15, 2012

Robert, Jackson and Kristen Interview with Flick and Bits

Robert, Jackson and Kristen Interview with Flick and Bits

Robert Interview
What have you taken away from this final film in particular, working with this group of people? This series is almost like High School or College, every year you’re thrown back together with this group of people – with some new people, new classmates, teachers – to me it sort of has that feeling….
Robert Pattinson: Yeah. We’ve all had a massively formative experience together. It is sort of the same thing as going to College or High School. We’re all sort of around the same age as well, which is more unusual with a film. That usually doesn’t happen. It was a long haul for the last one, it definitely felt like an ending. Suddenly there was an enormous amount of new cast, we were doing scenes with 30 people in it, massive fight scenes. It seemed big, and you did feel like it turned into a juggernaut by that point. And then ending with me and Kristen, that was the final thing we shot. It was like, “Ah yeah, Edward and Bella, off into the sunset.” (Laughs).

Without giving too much away about the battle, what was that like to actually film? That’s certainly a bigger, more epic moment than what we’ve seen in any of the previous ‘Twilight’ movies. Did you do extra physical training for that?
Robert Pattinson: Yeah. I’d read that in the script before I read the book, so when it got to that moment I was thinking, “What?! Ok, you’re really going for it.” But it was crazy, just turning up – it felt like a vampire movie (laughs). But no, it was definitely exciting shooting that. Training wise, not really, and we were doing a lot of the choreography kind of on the fly – because people kept getting injured, so we kept having to change it (laughs). But it was fun. There was one massive shot, there’s like a 70 foot jump into a punch, that was pretty fun to shoot.

There’s a moment where you swing Bella around for a kick, was that tough to do?
Robert Pattinson: It was tough to make it not look silly (laughs). But it was really fun, it was just odd because the vampires in ‘Twilight’ barely ever use their powers, especially in huge movements. It was definitely fun.

How was it working with Bill Condon on the final two movies?
Robert Pattinson: It was insanely different to work with Bill Condon, he’s not only sympathetic to actors but he’s also a great writer as well. He did a lot of work on the script for like three weeks before we started shooting. He also kept his cool the entire time, which is very difficult on a really long and quite hard shoot – filming two movies in one swoop. Bill’s great though, he really made us feel like we were a part of the creative process.

What was the moment for you when you thought, “Wow, this is going to be huge.” Do you remember that moment or what that thing was, or was it a series of things?
Robert Pattinson: It was around the first appearance at Comic-Con, it was literally a period of three or four days where I was suddenly getting recognised. It was from being an absolute nobody to pretty much everyone in LA knowing who I was, I couldn’t walk down the street, over four days. It was crazy, there was paparazzi everywhere, they’d never come up to me before that. But I knew when I was shooting the first ‘Twilight’ movie, there was definitely a mood where people knew there was something strange about it. It would either completely disappear without a trace or it would do something special. I think people were definitely excited about it when we were doing it. Everyone didn’t really know what was going to happen with the movie, but there was a good energy.

Did you have a favourite while filming ’The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2′?
Robert Pattinson: I like all of Taylor Lautner’s scenes in it. I liked the Christmas scene, I thought that was awesome. Any scene which Taylor was doing with Renesmee, I just thought it was hilarious. I remember sitting around the Christmas tree and seeing them sit together for the first time, I was like, “This is going to be in a movie!” (Laughs) That was great.

Its been an incredible journey for you with these films, and I’m sure you’ve been asked this for the last two years now, but how’s it like now, with everything – promotion, premiers, interviews – set to be completed in the next few weeks?
Robert Pattinson: It’s definitely going to be strange in a few weeks when its all gone – until the DVD release (laughs). People have been asking for ages how I would feel when it would be over, but I never really knew. Then suddenly seeing the time frame getting smaller and smaller, it is slightly worrying (laughs). I still don’t know! I don’t think I’ve ever felt more completely bewildered, knowing that I only have a few more weeks of ‘Twilight’ stuff left to do.

Jackson Interview
What was the moment for you when you thought, “Wow, this ‘Twilight’ thing is going to be huge.” Do you remember that moment or what that thing was, or was it a series of things? Was there ever an inkling of that while filming the first movie?
It kind of just kept growing, in terms of that anticipation of what it might become. It was never the understanding straight away that, “Look at this, we’re going to be a part of this amazing franchise.” When we first signed on for ‘Twilight’ it was like joining a different take on a vampire story. Then as we were filming people started knocking on our doors and showing up, taking pictures of us. All of these fansites started popping up as well, fan fiction. You started thinking, “This is way different than other projects I’ve done! (Laughs) People haven’t even seen it yet!” And still, that didn’t really sink in until the premier, for me at least. Driving up with my family and seeing this amazing amount of people screaming and all of these reporters. I was out on the red carpet for like two and a half hours talking and signing autographs, taking pictures – it was intense.

How about you Jackson? As the films are going along, the audience getting to know more about Jasper, how satisfying was that for you?
It’s interesting, whenever I look for the characters I want to play, I always look for a development, I look for an arc. Playing a flat-line character is the most boring thing I can imagine – and I’ve done it, and I don’t like it. With Jasper, I looked at the series, the books, and there’s an opportunity to show a character who’s really a part of the landscape. He really helps the narrative form of this young girl, Bella, falling in love, getting swept up in this world of vampires. Jasper comes into play as this certain side of the vampires, he sort of straddles the line between the new vegetarian vampire way of life, with that animalistic, feral urge to drink human blood. Then to go to that to ‘New Moon’ where he almost kills her, then ‘Eclipse’ we get to see a little bit about his back-story. Then finally in ‘Breaking Dawn’ he’s relaxed.
It was nice, it’s really nice to make choices in the first film and know that you can justify those choices later, that you can show people like, “This is the reason I chose for him to stand this way. This is the reason I chose him to have these awkwardly painful expressions on his face.” (Laughs) Those were choices on ‘Twilight’ that I had to own and describe and explain to people over the course of the next films. It’s an interesting development with that character. I’ve loved playing Jasper over the years. I’m really grateful for Stephenie and her writing, to be able to step into a character so lush as I was able to do with Jasper.

Did you have a favourite moment in ’The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2′? Was there something in particular that was fun to shoot or do?
Oh man, I do have a couple. There’s a really beautiful scene that Nikki has where she’s outside with the little baby, she has this expression that….in all the movies, it’s the most similar to Nikki’s personality that I’ve ever seen in these films. You get to see who Nikki Reed is in Rosalie for the first time, I think (laughs). That was a beautiful moment that I really loved. And then there’s the ending, that Bill Condon put together. Being a part of this series over a large part of my life – over half my life as a professional actor, it was amazing. That was really nice. I felt honoured and humbled at the same time.

Kristen Interview
So many people really identify with Bella and her journey through the ‘Twilight’ series. And this character, in this movie, she’s a strong woman, with strong convictions. She’s not always strong, but she has a strong sense of who she is….
Yeah. I think if anything we shed light on an enormous gap that’s been wanting to be filled for a very long time, sort of told everyone that it’s possible. This thing that’s so common, that drives me nuts (laughs), that Bella and ‘Twilight’ is simply not, is when people try to fill that little void with false girl power – because it seems to be such a thing right now. It’s totally in to be a “strong girl”. I feel like I read so many script that they’ve just changed the character name from Bobby to Sue, and they’re like, “Cool, lets have Kristen Stewart play it.” But I don’t really want to play a guy (laughs), I would really rather play a strong girl. Women’s strengths are different, they are very evident in very different ways. It’s not about brawn and being the loudest in the room, sometimes it’s about taking a step back and realising….it’s funny, what I’m about to say is so cliche but it’s true, it’s not like the women at the front of the room desperately asserting herself, it’s the one sort of clocking that’s the more interesting one. On the outside you may seem quiet, you may seem a little introverted or shy even, but to be able to say that you don’t need to be loud. I dunno, you know what I mean (laughs)? Especially considering where Bella comes from and where she gets to, you have somebody who really has a lot of stock in her own feelings. It’s pretty great.

Bella has moments of genuine awkwardness, but she’s never not who she is. That conviction in this movie, and in becoming a vampire, it takes all those things and amplifies them and adds power to them. How was that to play?
I was so lucky to be able to play human Bella for so long that everything that makes vampire Bella great was so natural, I knew where it was coming from. All of the vampires have power for a reason, we didn’t see where they got to live in their human lives, but with Bella all of the progressions are so there. It’s not like it’s a random idea for her to have a shield, it’s actually very fitting. It’s not a completely arbitrary thing that she can drop everyone’s guard. I think that really says something about her. As much of a physical thing it was, it was cool to be strong and fast, it was nice to see a fully realised version of Bella.

Bella’s guardedness, that transfers to not only protect her feelings, but in ’The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2′ she really protects and guards others?
It’s sick, I loved the fact that she’s changed while she’s given birth, she’s a leader of that family. She’ll be a mother forever, even if her daughter grows up and whatever, there is that innate care-taking aspect to her. Also, you need to be a bit crazy to be in that position as well, to be like, “No, I think everything’s going to be ok, you have to trust it.” She’s always given so much stock to her feelings, even if they seem a little crazy in the moment, at the end of the day I think she can stand up and say, “I told you all. Follow me.” (Laughs) That was really satisfying to play in this film.

Did you have a favourite moment in ’The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2′? Was there something in particular that was fun to shoot or do?
I think the first hunt is something that I’ve always really loved, your kind of playing a bit of a baby. Just taking so much in, in a matter of a split second. I didn’t really get to jump off a waterfall, I didn’t really get to tackle a Mountain Lion, it was just a big tube of foam – which was just as satisfying to take down to be honest (laughs). But I think probably the first hunt, it was difficult, it’s so hard to pull off. I mean, it’s so extreme. But I feel like I got to taste what that would kind of feel like.

What was the moment for you when you thought, “Wow, this ‘Twilight’ thing is going to be huge.” Do you remember that moment or what that thing was, or was it a series of things?
I always think of Comic-Con. The first Comic-Con was so 100% disarming and overwhelming. I’d done some movies before ‘Twilight,’ I knew what it felt like to love something with another director or another actor, making something together that you’re both really moved by – that’s the most amazing feeling. If you can like something together, hate something together, find something funny together, it’s suddenly a 100 times more, rather than just having that experience on your own. So when we sat in front of 6000 people, that energy is the most….I just knew it was going to get bigger. I was like, “This isn’t just going to stop.” Because it’s contagious, that energy is like fire, it catches. I had never seen that before.

Source => Flicks and Bits / Via => Thinking of Rob---JRathboneFB

No comments:

Post a Comment