Sunday, April 8, 2012

Robert in "OK" Russian Magazine - April 5th, 2012

Robert in "OK" Russian Magazine - April 5th, 2012

imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com


Translation

I AM A LONER AND NOT A CAREERIST.

They say looks are not the main thing for a man, but what would Georges Duroy , the main character of Guy de Maupassant’s novel “Bel Ami” have achieved had he not been so attractive? Film critics ask themselves the same question-for the last few years they have been trying to explain the phenomenal fane of a young actor-Robert Pattinson, who starred as Duroy in the screen adaptation of the popular novel.

Almost 4 years have passed since the first film of the vampire saga “Twilight” came out and all this time, the fans of Robert Pattinson’s acting skills have been guessing when the journalists will stop referring to their favourite as “The Twilight Guy”. Their frustration is not without a reason, because even before he played Edward Cullen, Rob had been awarded a prize for best actor at Strasbourg Film festival for his part in “ how to be” , a film by Oliver Irwing. In the same year 2008, Pattinson portrayed one of the most scandalous artists of the 20th century-Salvador Dali. By acting in “Little Ashes”, a film about the complicated relationship between Dali and a Spanish poet Federico Garcia Lorka , Robert proved that he is not just a handsome face but has some real acting talent. Some even referred to Robert as “a new Di Caprio.” Who had fought the status of a handsome guy for a long time before he won a Golden Globe award. Now the actor has rich professional and personal life. Although he does not like to speak openly about his love life , his relationship with “Twilight” co-star Kristen Stewart has long been a source for assumptions and rumours- rumours sometimes splitting them and bringing them back together at other times. The most recent rumour is that they’ll be married soon. Well, at least at the photos they look pretty much in love.

It must be said that not all women are attracted to Pattinson. Not so long ago, a comic actress and the host of “Fashion Police” show. Joan rivers mocked the actor’s style, particularly his hairdo, in her programme. The thing is, Robert appeared at Comic –con press conference with his hair cut on one side. Rivers, of course did not miss the chance to bite him calling him languid and flabby. And advised him to pay more attention to hygiene and take a bath. A little time before this unpleasant incident, another star gibed at Pattinson. Reece Witherspoon, with whom Robert starred in “Water for Elephants” (a film by Francis Lawrence) said that she didi not like kissing Pattinson on set. “It was a torture, he had a cold and his nose was runny all the time”-Reece revealed carelessly. Well, negative hype is still a hype and so far it has not prevented directors from offering Pattinson new parts.

Rob, what are your impressions after filming “BEL AMI?”
I am happy to have worked with beautiful and talented actresses but my character treats them not very well, to put it mildly. But when I wasn’t acting , Believe me I really was a nice guy.(smiles)

Tell us about your character, Georges Duroy
He is awful, merciless, loves to manipulate with people, he uses women to enter high society and does this extremely cynically. In many ways it is a modern story about a person trying to get power and status at all costs. Duroy follows his logic, he is selfish, cruel, has no conscience and does not care about the feelings of other people. George thinks that the whole world owes him something, he ruthlessly moves towards his goal mercilessly sweeping everything on his way.

What would Edward Cullen think of Georges Duroy?
(laughs) Edward would not like it that George is completely amoral and this is exactly what attracted me to Duroy. Edward had strong principles. He always protected Bella,. Duroy is ready to do harm and even ruin lives of women who had become hostages of his charm.

Do you have personal qualities which helped you to play Duroy?
No but during those years when I was doing Twilight, and was constantly the centre of attention, I realized that fame helps you go ahead in the business. You should be determined and you need to learn a lot. Although my mom was connected to modeling business , I was never seriously interested in it. I started shooting almost by chance when I was still at school. I used to play in a band too. In general, I am more of a loner, than a careerist.

How do you think, can” Bel Ami” Duroy overshadow Edward Cullen in the minds of viewers?
This part is already good because it is so different from Edward. This is exactly what I wanted. When I was reading the script, I understood that nobody could see anything from Edward in Duroy’s character. Every actor wants to be free and be able to rediscover himself again in every new part he plays. And he wishes the viewers to associate him not with the previous characters, but with the new ones. Fortunately, in this respect everything is clear with “Twilight”-being a vampire has its advantages-this character is hard to associate with those you are going to play in the future.

Have you ever thought that Edward Cullen still influences you?
(laughs) No, but I appreciate his integrity and determination/ I like that marriage, having a family were part of Edwards aspirations. I also can see myself as a family man and recently I’ve been thinking much whether it’s time for me to become a father. May be this is because I was growing up with my younger brother, who needed constant care. I acted as a protector for such a long time that I feel time has come for me to grow up and take responsibility of having a family.

Do you remember the moment you wanted to change your life?
I was having dinner with my father at a London restaurant and the waiter accidentally dropped a plate full food when he was coming to our table. When we were moving to another table, we saw a group of young ladies who were discussing entering acting courses. The moment we left the restaurant. I told father I wanted to be an actor (laughs)

You are fond of music, writing songs, what do you think you’ll do in the future?
I like writing songs and playing the guitar, but I am not sure I can do it well enough. I want to write scripts and make interesting films in the future. I am not sure I want to spend the rest of my life in front of the camera- I am dreaming of being at the other end one day.

You are just 25 and you are already a successful actor. Has this new status changed you a lot?
I am becoming more open and less introspective. As a teenager I spent a lot of time thinking about who I was. I was concerned with existential issues. I am afraid I used to bore my friends to death by speaking about serious stuff. Now I’m only interested in my work. I am enjoying the creative process, working with talented people involved in the filmmaking.

Don’t you get annoyed by paparazzi and people stalking you in the streets?
I am already used to it. I can live with it. I usually find ways to sneak in somewhere unnoticed. I have learnt to find places which are hard to access. Even if I just want coffee or dinner, I get to one of such places and try to sit quietly, praying not to be noticed. Even at those places there are people who recognize me and then they will wait at the restaurant exit.

Is this psychologically difficult?
I would not say so.I understand that this is the price of success. You lose anonymity and your life is open to public. I was a little depressed and was struggling to adapt to new reality. Overall, my life has not changed much. Even though I do have the feeling of being stalked. Anyway, I am trying to get used to it, live my own life and not eternally hide in a hotel room without even feeling fear. I am grateful my career goes this way and I don’t complain about the attention I am getting. It’s part of my life.

Do you still feel as awkward as you used to?
It’s pleasant that you ask such interesting questions. Of course, I am not the most relaxed person in the world and I would like to look smarter and more interesting when fans approach me, and I am not as shy as I used to be and my life in general is changing.

What do you do to relax?
When I’m not playing the guitar, I read a lot. I love Dostoevsky, Nabokov, Recently I reread the books by my favourite English writer Martin Amis. His books are textbooks on modern life and psychology.

Source => Robsten Life Russia / Translation => Spunk Ransom / Via => @adelestew---Thinking of Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment