Thursday, May 17, 2012

SWATH Press Junket : Kristen Interview with Viva Press Part 2

SWATH Press Junket : Kristen Interview with Viva Press Part 2

(Part 1 here)

Starring in Snow White and the Huntsman, Kristen Stewart features in her first movie since the Twilight saga phenomenon. As famous for her relationship with Rob Pattinson, which she still refuses to discuss, she’s slightly less guarded than usual about her life. In Malibu with some of her fellow cast-members, Stewart is wearing dark jeans, a long sleeved shirt, long hair and eyeliner.

Q: So what was your first impression of Charlize Theron?
She’s a bitch! (laughs) My first impression? I was really nervous and intimidated to meet her. She’s one of the main reasons I wanted to do the movie. I think she’s stunning at what she does, and I really also respect her as a woman and all of that. I loved the script and I loved everything surrounding it, but there was one concrete pillar in the middle and that was her. And so when I met her, I was like, ‘Oh wow. You are crazy.’ (laughs) she’s like really funny, and quick and she commands a lot of attention, you can’t help but look at her when she walks into a room and she’s cool.

Q: A lot of people feel like that about you.
Oh really? (laughs)

Q: Young people…
That’s a very different thing, that’s like, she’s special. She’s got something.

Q: Do you understand that reaction from people? You’re in Twilight and you’re an icon?
Yes, definitely because things are shown in a certain light. It doesn’t surprise me only because I’ve had similar experiences. You idolise something and it becomes yours sort of, and it changes in your head and so you project your idea of that person onto them. In reality, it can become a weird thing when they become a real person in front of you. I’ve had that experience a couple of times with actors that I’ve worked with and sometimes they really let you down. Sometimes they fulfill your expectations and the only reason I get it is because there are different versions of us but I was put into a mould. I was crafted to be this thing, and put on a pedestal and shine a big light on it, and make it sparkle and everyone is going to be like oh my God! (laughs) So yeah, I get it.

Q: What kind of relationship did you have with Snow White the character before you entered the movie?
I didn’t really have one, no.

Q: You had never seen it?
I saw it when I was younger, but I had to watch it again, and my favorite Disney movie as a kid was The Jungle Book.

Q: Some people would say looking at your life is something like a fairytale? Is that how you see it?
Yeah, it’s weird to talk about it but if life is sort of just going, ‘Wow, I can’t believe this is happening.’ It’s so great, it’s like an ideal version of what it is, but at the same time, fairytales are wrapped up in destiny.

Q: You’ve had to obviously make a big trade off for your success with the lack of anonymity and things like that. Do you think that was a fair trade off, or would you do it all again if you got the chance?
Yeah. I definitely think it’s worth giving up being able to go buy soap even though I want to do that so bad (laughs)

Q: What about the idea of Prince Charming? Charlize was saying she doesn’t think there’s just one, there’s possibly several. What are your beliefs?
I don’t know…. I don’t have, I don’t think about it. I think that for some people, you can feel like there’s one but I don’t think that there are rules. If life had rules like that, God, it would be so much easier.

Q: Do you believe in ‘happily ever after?’
It’s possible. I mean, lucky girl, (laughs) but at the same time a lot of people grow up needing that so that if it doesn’t happen then I’m not complete in my life, I would have lived half a life or something. That would be sad. But I feel pretty sturdy, I feel pretty lucky.

Q: What’s the best thing a guy has done for you?
I don’t know…(laughs)

Q: Best date?
Come on now, my God, (laughs) no, I don’t know, man.

Q: In what way do you think beauty is powerful?
It’s weird because it actually is but it’s a scary thing because it can be…. some of the most beautiful people who use their beauty as a weapon, if looked at through the wrong eyes, or through the right eyes actually, are grotesquely ugly. And I think it just depends on who is looking and you can really take advantage of people, and also, you can be so taken advantage of if that’s all there is to it. But I think, in our case especially, beauty is power yes. To her, she’s being brought up and told that that’s the one card that she can play to a fault. No matter what, you’ve got this and it’s strong and it’s probably true, but ultimately, it’s strength of character. It’s all of those really basic things that are so true, but what is going to last? Not that. Obviously.

Q: Chris Hemsworth mentioned that you took a swing at him several times, once even where you weren’t kidding. How physical did you get in this movie?
It didn’t feel great. I mean, it was one of those situations where you’ve done something you’ve never done before and you realise that it has a great effect, ‘Whoa, wait, I feel horrible,’ (laughs) cause he was in quite a lot of pain, and yeah, not a great feeling, but it was funny. It makes for a funny story at least.

Q: What do you cherish most in a human being?
Honesty probably, but not objective honesty, it’s like, there’s a way to be soulfully honest, there’s a way to be honest with your eyes.

Q: Is there some truth that you wouldn’t like to hear?
Maybe, but that doesn’t mean I don’t want to hear it, I’m like ridiculously obsessed with (laughs) truth.

Q: Snow White developed from an innocent little girl to a strong woman, do you recognise yourself as a woman now?
Yeah, I’m 21 years old, yeah. (laughter) I think what’s interesting in this case is that it’s not really a coming of age story, the reason the story starts and ignites is because she has developed. She’s in her prime suddenly and to have such a stunted character be that for an audience, to have your main protagonist be somebody who is an adult, who’s18 and she’s like raring to go, yet she has no life experience, she knows a completely pristine world, and when she comes out basically, it’s like starting completely fresh, I felt like I was playing a kid a lot of the time. I don’t want to make it sound like….it’s not about growing up, for her it was really about realising that these weapons that she had, she was strong enough to utilise them and then it was worth doing so. Those weapons are literally the light that she has in her, and just like the impulsive nature of things is her intuitiveness and all of that.

Q: Can you relate to that?
Yeah, I mean I guess so, yeah. I haven’t felt the switch if that’s what you are saying, I haven’t felt like oh wow now I am becoming something else. I mean, things are a bit easier I guess. I can relate to becoming a little bit more comfortable and older but at the same time I haven’t gone, ‘Oh, I am a woman. Oh, I am an adult now.’

Q: Are you more a warrior or damsel in distress?
In real life?

Q: Yeah.
Probably the latter.

Q: Is there some time in your life where you can enjoy just the pleasure of feeling like a princess?
I mean yeah, sure. But I don’t need that though to be honest, I don’t have that thing, I have a lot of friends who are actors as well and they sort of love the process of getting ready for something because they feel kind of important, I don’t identify with that, other things make me feel…

Q: How about being the face of Balenciaga? That’s like a princess dream in a way.
Yes, when I found that out I was like, because admittedly, I’ve always been sort of like not on the forefront of the things that I wear. Like, I don’t always know exactly what I’m doing, but I always have been incredibly into it, and so I was kind of shocked that they offered it to me. And I was really, really honoured, and very excited.

Q: Are you modelling at all, photoshoots, things like that?
Yeah, I like to play characters, it depends on who you are working with, it can be really fun and artistic and like free. But I don’t always like taking pictures.

Q: Snow White had a great mother as a role model and she instilled values in her. What about your mother?
My mum has always been very affirmative, even if that’s not the most honest thing, but my mum was always really like encouraging, and even if it was sort of something I was being silly about, or something. Sometimes you have to tell a kid when they are wrong, that it’s okay to be wrong, I don’t know, she’s always just been very supportive and proud and she likes me. I think that’s important, it’s weird, it’s strange and sort of, it feels unnatural and whatever, but I do have friends that don’t have that connection with their parents and it has such an awful effect, it’s sad. So I’m really lucky.


Credit => Viva Press / Via => @gossipgyal---Robsten Dreams

No comments:

Post a Comment